[pacman-dev] Pacman, sqlite and dialectic of competent people

Manuel "ekerazha" C. manuel at ekerazha.com
Sat Jan 19 05:35:08 EST 2008

Maybe this is a better place where discuss this (
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42374 ) or at least I've have
to clarify some things.

1)**

toofishes says:
Yes its faster. But does it matter all that much?

$ time pacman -Qg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m0.105s
user    0m0.047s
sys    0m0.037s

$ time pacman -Sg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m0.388s
user    0m0.160s
sys    0m0.203s

Well... these are my results with Pacman 3.1.0 (Pentium III 933 Mhz,
PC133 512 MB, 120 GB 7200rpm with XFS filesystem, "pacman-optimize"
regularly done):

[root at PC-ekerazha ekerazha]# time pacman -Qg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m8.083s
user    0m0.107s
sys    0m0.233s

[root at PC-ekerazha ekerazha]# time pacman -Sg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m44.482s
user    0m0.510s
sys    0m0.963s

So 8 and 44 seconds (44 seconds!). Apparently it really matters...

toofishes says:
Here are the things to "do" since you don't seem to understand we are
"busy" developing "software" that works and doesn't "break" people's
systems in the "name" of speed.

Why should the sqlite approach "break people's systems in the name of
speed"? You clearly don't know what are you talking about... I really
hope there are also competent pacman devs there (as you say).

2)

phrakture,
people like "toofishes" is the living example of why "show you the code"
(already partially done but incomplete) is useless. As I've already
said, <People will "do" when the things to "do" will be *understood and
accepted*, people won't waste their time vainly> and it seems obvious
that people like "toofishes" isn't understanding anything about this.

However... keep up the good work because Arch is a great Linux distro
(the best out there) and well... pacman is a "decent" package manager
(although poorly engineered and very slow).

P.S.
Excuse me for my bad English but it isn't my native language.