[pacman-dev] filesystem performance

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 07:09:20 EST 2008

JJDaNiMoTh wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:35:08 +0100
> "Manuel \"ekerazha\" C."<manuel at ekerazha.com>  wrote:
>> [cut]
>
> I don't want to troll there, only one suggestion ( then I go to write
> some code ):
>
> Effectively, pacman needs 40 seconds to perform a search.. using kernel
> cache is a workaround. Isn't against any law, but using it is
> equivalent to hide pacman inefficiency.

For the record, I had huge performance issues with my filesystem a while
ago. Obviously, this didn't cause slow downs only in pacman, but in most
apps I use. Reinstalling my system fixed it.

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2007-October/015751.html

However, if you only care about pacman, you could use a separate
partition for /var/lib/pacman (or a loopback filesystem).