[pacman-dev] Pacman, sqlite and dialectic of competent people

Manuel "ekerazha" C. manuel at ekerazha.com
Sat Jan 19 11:28:19 EST 2008

> Wanted to get some relevant linkage in this thread:
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-October/006113.html
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-November/009936.html
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-November/010278.html
>
> I am going to try really hard to keep this civil in here, so please do
> the same. I post the above links for this reason- this idea has come
> up many times before. And every time it doesn't seem to catch the
> attention of our devs. To find out why, you are going to have to do
> some reading of the above threads.
>
> This is not to say it can't be done. I just don't think those of us
> that are currently coding a lot of things for pacman find this to be a
> priority or a big problem in our minds, and/or think there are other
> ways to better solve the problem, such as reading straight from a
> tar.gz database which libarchive makes *really* easy, but the current
> pacman code needs some work to support. I would be very interested in
> working on a refactoring so that multiple backends could be possible-
> the code as it currently stands makes that awfully hard.

As I've already pointed out inside the previous linked thread
( http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42374 ) I've already read
all the previous "sqlite" discussions.

What about the "libarchive" way? Well... it IS a step forward compared
to the current backend. I think this is still worse than a sqlite based
approach however it IS definitely a good improvement.