[pacman-dev] [patch] add support for scriptlets functions embedded in $BUILDSCRIPT

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:45:51 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 3:42 PM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/23, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> > I'm just going to poke this thread here. With a bug reference:
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/3244
> >
> > I think this is totally feasible. Guys?
>
> Wow, I've totally forgot about this.
> What can I say?.. Apply it and let us test how cool it is. :-D

I'm going to be the hardass here and first ask which patch we are
considering above. The global variables thing worries me a bit.

I feel like the advantages of having it in a second file, which is
copied directly to the package, outweighs the benefits. Notice that
with the above method, zero comments are copied over as well. This
could confuse people. I already mentioned the global variables thing
as a drawback, in addition to using subfunctions (see the
pacman.install file). It isn't that these couldn't be solved by simply
sticking with an external install file, but the confusion of educating
users then comes into play. "Hey, you can put install functions in
your PKGBUILD, but ONLY if they don't use variables, you don't mind
missing comments, you don't try to actually use subfunctions to clean
up the code...".

Maybe I'm just being a stickler here, but it seems like what we have
now works quite well, at the expense of needing one extra file. It
also *clearly* seperates build-time operations from install-time ones,
which I can see being quite confusing to first-time PKGBUILD writers.