[pacman-dev] String freeze for 3.2 release

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 07:52:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Nagy Gabor wrote:
>>
>> 2. Xav said, that deltas are broken. Couldn't we move this out from
>> alpm code, and using it XferCommand or whatever (or implement new
>> "external helper", if needed)?
>>

> How broken are they?  More specifically, does this code need some minor
> fixes or a complete overhaul?
>
> BTW, this is on my big changes to get into Arch list, right behind
> getting a testing repo for community.  I even maintain xdelta as a reminder.

The libalpm code isn't broken at all, actually- it is just missing the
scripting side of things in makepkg or repo-add. These scripts need
the components to generate "delta 2.0" format, and we came across some
problems with that, including compression, timestamps, and checksum
mismatches.

Xavier, do you remember where this all was? I thought this stuff was
on the ML but I'm not sure.