[pacman-dev] Odd -Su checkdeps error message

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Sat Jul 19 09:43:47 EDT 2008

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu>
> wrote:
> >> [ngaba at Arch pacman]$ LANG=C sudo pacman -Su
> >> :: Starting full system upgrade...
> >> resolving dependencies...
> >> looking for inter-conflicts...
> >> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy
> >> dependencies) :: firefox-i18n: requires firefox=3.0
> >>
> >> [ngaba at Arch pacman]$ LANG=C pacman -Qi firefox
> >> Name           : firefox
> >> Version        : 3.0-2
> >>
> >> Hm. What's this?
> >> [ngaba at Arch pacman]$ LANG=C sudo pacman -Su --debug | grep firefox
> >> [12:20:47] debug: new version of 'firefox' found (3.0-2 => 3.0.1-1)
> >> [12:20:47] debug: package 'firefox' not found in sync
> >>
> >> Aha. We should somehow inform the user about the selected packages.
> >> Btw, these --debug messages are also odd, (instead of 'firefox' not
> >> found in sync (== target list), we should say adding firefox to the
> >> target list).
> >>

> > Some notes:
> >
> > 0. We are in string freeze :-/
> Debug messages aren't translated, so change these all you want.

OK. I will change debug messages, but they are not so important. I
referred here to some deeper changes, because imho the info I got is not
enough. My main problem that I wasn't informed about the fact that a
local package's dependency would be broken by the transaction
(broken "reversedeps" case can be figured out from causingpkg), and
pacman wants to upgrade firefox (I don't know anything about
to-be-upgraded packages).

Bye