[pacman-dev] Linking to OpenSSL

Teran McKinney sega01 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:01:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been working on an Arch fork for the past several months, and
thus have been following Arch developments closely. I noticed this
commit ( http://projects.archlinux.org/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=b8a66d68593d1f267c3bb8cd8943724711626903
), where OpenSSL replaces the usage of md5sum and sha1sum utilities
for Pacman. While I like the idea of using libraries instead of
external binaries, I feel that linking to OpenSSL complicates a few
things. For one, it is big, and must be included with any non-static
binaries of Pacman (in the installer, this would not be so ideal,
unless OpenSSL is included anyways). Another, is that it is simply not
legal under the GPL. OpenSSL includes an advertising clause that makes
it incompatible with the GPL. Wget and climm had to modify their GPL
licenses to link to it (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openssl#Licensing ).

I purpose using GNUTLS instead. It is released under the LGPLv2.1,
should be fully capable, and is compatible with the GPL. Many projects
that use OpenSSL can also optionally link to GNUTLS instead, so I
would suggest doing so with all possible packages (lftp, elinks,
wget). What are your thoughts about this?

Pacman is an excellent package manager; thank you for all of the work
that you put into it.

Cheers,
Teran (sega01)