[pacman-dev] Optdepends (was: 3.2 "RC" release)

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Wed Jul 30 15:12:59 EDT 2008

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu>
> wrote:
> >> One last problem : the pacman.conf needs to be updated.
> >> Most important points :
> >> 1) remove unstable mirror section
> >> 2) add SyncFirst
> >>
> > This may be an overkill, but this can be mentioned in .INSTALL file
> > too, because user may omit pacman.conf.pacnew. Or give a general
> > message: "New options were added to pacman.conf, please check
> > pacman.conf.pacnew (if it exists) and pacman.conf manual for
> > details"
> >

> Well I am not sure Dan would like that after what he said here :
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-July/007136.html

I have a completely different opinion. IMHO the current OptDepends is
totally _useless_: who checks them with -Qi or -Si?! Personally I have
no clue which packages have optional dependencies. I agree with Dan,
that optdepends shouldn't be put to install file (they will be "hidden"
after package install), but I like that they are listed.

I think pacman should automatically print them during package install.
(Here we have formatting/localisation difficulties) This behaviour
could be disabled (to satisfy Dan ;-).

Bye