[pacman-dev] Optdepends (was: 3.2 "RC" release)

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Wed Jul 30 16:54:42 EDT 2008

> I think I was not very clear and transformed Dan's words too much.

No, I've read that mail, and I reflected to point 2. (which
I may misinterpreted: probably Dan don't like them on _upgrade_? Btw,
packagers: we have pre/post_install and pre/post_upgrade "scriptlets").

> I just talked with him and we agree on these two things :
> 1) printing optdepends is fine.
> I actually asked an user to write a feature request :
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10630 , and I even assigned it to me.
> But then I ran into annoying problems. Please help, since you care
> about this issue.
Hm. I've missed that FR, thanks.

> 2) messages like "check .pacnew file for new options" are useless.
> pacman already prints a warning when extracting pacnew files anyway.
> And you said yourself it might be overkill, so it shouldn't be a
> problem.

OK. No problem, I wasn't sure about it neither. I just noted, that some
"lazy" users may notice behaviour change (missing SyncFirst option)
after upgrade.

Bye