[pacman-dev] makepkg download fails with special chars in URL (was: [signoff] pacman 3.2.0)

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 31 11:27:06 EDT 2008

This is where I have got up to in searching for the solution:

1) Fix sed statement to extract protocol in get_downloadclient()
    local proto=$(echo "$url" | sed 's|://.*||')

2) escape ampersands in netfile in get_downloadcmd()
    local netfile=$(echo "$2" | sed "s|\&|\\\&|g")

Then $dlcmd get created correctly but running the following messages at
the end of get_downloadcmd() shows what is happening...

plain "$dlcmd"
/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3 -O mythplugins-0.21.tar.bz2.part
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=136&foo=/mythplugins-0.21.tar.bz2

plain "$(echo $dlcmd)"
/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3 -O mythplugins-0.21.tar.bz2.part

So this does not pass the url to the actual wget call, which explains
the "wget: missing URL" error message I am left with.  Note that once
that is fixed, the ampersands in the url need escaped again for the wget
command to actually work.

I need sleep so I leave it to people in a more appropriate time zones to
find a solution. :)
Allan