[pacman-dev] Configure --prefix in PKGBUILD scripts

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:13:23 EDT 2008

2008/6/4 Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Antonio Huete Jimenez
> <ahuete.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And how is supposed I can change the prefix for a wide variety of
> PKGBUILD
> > and still have them useable under Archlinux and others???
> >
> > I still say that having separate ABS tree don't have any benefit for
> other
> > OSes.
>
> Please try to refrain from top-posting when the quoted email is relevant.

> You are asking for two conflicting things, and confusing two
> relatively different issues.
>
> Are you using BSD as:
> 1. A kernel where you want to build the Arch userland around?
> 2. An existing operating system where you are going to manage a few
> packages with pacman?

I was thinking in pacman as a primary package manager for DragonFlyBSD (and
possibly other BSD) if the user chooses wants to use as that. For both
managing a bunch (or a huge amount) of packages and still being able to
compile everything without the need of a separate build machine. BSD will
have its own userland as always.

> For situation (1), I can see your point- in this case, maybe the Arch
> ABS tree should be relatively usable out of the box. But guess what?
> Arch isn't BSD, so just because you change the kernel doesn't mean the
> package paths change- part of the Arch mindset is not using /usr/local
> by default, etc. so changing paths just because you changed to a BSD
> kernel would be unjustified.

In BSD base comes with everything (base+kernel) where base are a bunch of
programs that shouldn't be overwritten when you install a package with
pacman (pacman avoids overwritting but avoids installing too) for
fullfilling a dependency.
I know that BSD isn't Linux, of course and I understand your will of not
using /usr/local as prefix, but what about using anything you want although
we don't do it in my way?

> For situation (2), you are dealing with a whole different set of
> issues. pacman and makepkg are not pkgsrc replacements, so how could
> you expect PKGBUILDs designed for a Linux system and with certain
> configure options would work flawlessly on your BSD system? For the
> rest of us, this PREFIX option would just make things less KISS and we
> wouldn't use it (because it is easier to deal with /usr rather than
> $PREFIX).

I agree with you that things should be kept KISS, but sometimes keeping
things so KISS just complicate it if you want to do complex things.

> It sounds like I'm ragging and being Mr. Negative here, but you have
> to realize this PREFIX thing is *one* small difference in a world of
> many between an Arch system and an existing BSD system.

Yup, too many differences but I think we would need to take advantage of all
that work done in pacman for being able to compile it under FreeBSD.

> -Dan

It may seem that I have arrived here to your list with a will of changing
everything with the only intention of adapting ABS/pacman to BSD
environments, but that's away from my real intention.

I just want to help without having any BSD/Linux wars, nothing more :)