[pacman-dev] Splitting packages in makepkg

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Jun 15 01:19:23 EDT 2008

On 2008-06-15, Dan McGee wrote:
> The only reason I can think you would still want to use a
> $startdir variable is for something like VCS packages where you store
> the most recent checkout somewhere for future use.

Just on this particular point I have about 20Gb of VCS source
inside $SRCDEST and there is no way I want to have that much
persistent stuff spread out in 100s of separate source package
directories. Especially when one significant component is KDE
trunk which only requires a single svn up for what results in
a couple of dozen separate package builds. ATM I use a build
wrapper script that pulls *all* the VCS into $SRCDEST in a
single operation then the next step is to create the tarballs
also, obviously, in $SRCDEST then most of my PKGBUILDs just
refer to.. sources=($pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2).

If there could be something like a $vcsdir var, that defaults
to $startdir, in front of all the paths in the VCS management
sections of makepkg then that would be excellent.

--markc