[pacman-dev] vercmp behavior changed on "1.5b versus 1.5" compare

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 04:34:34 EDT 2008

Miklos Vajna wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:53:16AM -0500, Dan McGee<dpmcgee at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Either way, I'm not convinced there is a right answer to what is
>> greater and lesser, but it does warrent looking into as the behavior
>> changed. I did see some comments in the new code alluding to some
>> upstream changes that may have been related to version numbers similar
>> to this.
>
> here is what upstream usually does:
>
> 1.0pre1<  1.0rc1<  1.0<  1.0a

what about beta or b?

> if the package manager doesn't know anything about what 'a', 'pre' or
> 'rc' means, you can't handle all the situations.
>
> pacman (before the recent change, i haven't bisected it) handled pre/rc
> properly and package maintainers had to do hacks for 1.0a-like releases
> (samba, etc).

The recent changes are here :
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=84283672853350a84d2a71b72dc06e180cad1587
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=54e1e3e642d834d8c676db7f74e95c6e24b19eab

Currently, there is no special handling so it seems we just have an
alphabetical order, that is :
1.0 < 1.0a < 1.0alpha < 1.0b < 1.0beta < 1.0p < 1.0pre < 1.0rc

I am not sure how it was before though, maybe the only difference was
that 1.0 was last instead of first?