[pacman-dev] FS#7982 - patch to makepkg to allow PKGBUILDs building more than one package

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 10:35:33 EDT 2008

I have been thinking about this some more and my head is beginning to
hurt...
> +		backup_o=$backup
> +		conflicts_o=$conflicts
> +		depends_o=$depends
> +		groups_o=$groups
> +		install_o=$install
> +		license_o=$license
> +		pkgdesc_o=$pkgdesc
> +		pkgname_o=$pkgname
> +		pkgver_o=$pkgver
> +		provides_o=$provides
> +		replaces_o=$replaces
> +		url_o=$url

Why would we need to change license, pkgver and url?  This is for
splitting packages that come in a single source file...  Otherwise you
make two PKGBUILDs. Can anyone give me a possible reason for changing
these.  I'm not sure about groups but there might be some reason to
change that.  I can think of reasons to change the options array so that
should be included.  Should we allow varying pkgrels between the split
packages?

I really think we need to take a big step back here.  What we really
need is to have a prototype PKGBUILD for a split package that is
relatively agreed upon.  As I said in other emails there are multiple
ways to do this and one needs to be chosen.  Once the decisions have
been made about the approach to take, and a naming scheme for
functions/variables, then we can look at patches.  At the moment the
patches seem without a defined goal (at least to me).

Allan