[pacman-dev] Splitting packages in makepkg

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:17:27 EDT 2008

On Mon 2008-06-16 10:56, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I like following idea:
> >
> > PKGBUILD
> > ------------------
> > pkgname=foobar
> > pkgver=1.0
> > pkgrel=1
> > subpackages=(dev doc)

> > build() {

> >  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
> >  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-dev install
> >  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-doc install
> > }
> > ---------------
> >
> > According to subpackages array makepkg creates 3 dirs:
> > - $startdir/pkg (as usually)
> > - $startdir/pkg-dev
> > - $startdir/pkg-doc
> >
> > PKGBUILDs build function install all stuff into them
> >
> > And then, makepkg creates 3 packages:
> >
> > $pkgname-...pkg.tar.gz
> > $pkgname-dev-...pkg.tar.gz
> > $pkgname-doc-...pkg.tar.gz
>
> FTR I like this idea too. Just setup some way to use $pkgdir/foo/
> instead of $pkgdir (that's what the subpackages=() array does in the
> above example), and then the rest is free-form. It's the simplest IMO.

I see a downside in the proposed scheme: you can not create a package
without the $pkgname- suffix, e.g. you can't create the "kopete" or
"kmail" package from "kdenetwork". Moreover, you can't change the
pkgdesc for each sub-package, which can be useful.

Just my 2 eurocents :)

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB