[pacman-dev] pac-file utility script

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 27 02:44:25 EDT 2008

pete morris wrote:
> Anyway, I've written a script that takes advantage of the [repo].files.tar.gz
> filelists that are now available to discover which package provides a
> particular file, when that package is not installed on the user's machine.  It
> is similar to debian's apt-file, if you are familiar with that.  I would
> appreciate any comments on the script, with an eye toward possible inclusion
> in Allan's pacman-contrib community package.

No comments on the actual script yet (I will look through it over the
weekend).

I do like the idea of this script and it is a feature users have
requests several times.  However, it is currently Arch specific given it
relies on file lists that are only created for the Arch repos.  How
about including Pierre's file list generation script in the scripts/
directory along with repo-add etc?  I think these two really need to be
added in combination.

I am going to email Pierre and see how general his file list generation
script is.

Allan