[pacman-dev] Binary Database

Dario Freddi drf54321 at yahoo.it
Sun Mar 9 16:50:42 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I am writing this mail for a variety of reasons. First of all, some
discussion in the forums, and then, because it's something that I've
been thinking about for a long time.
There have been many requests, AFAIK, for bringing pacman a binary
database. Currently I'm writing a libalpm frontend, with some other guys
(works in progress are @ KDEMod Forums), and we would really like to
bring some improvements to Alpm, starting from its database.

Every time this question arises (by doing a search through the forums),
the answer is always "show us some code first". Well, nothing wrong with
that, and unfortunately I have nothing to show now, but for a simple
reason. Maybe I did not search well, but I still haven't found an answer
to the following question: "Are pacman/alpm devs interested in having a
binary database instead of the text based one?".

If there is no interest, it would be useless to start coding. So I'd
like to hear some voices/opinions. Then I will be more than happy to
show some code.

Cheers,
Dario