[pacman-dev] PATHNAME in sync/*/desc

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Mar 12 19:36:47 EDT 2008

On 13 Mar 2008 00:04, Xavier wrote:
> > On the PATHNAME = URL idea, I could imagine this could also be
> > useful, if at all possible, because I could offload some packages
> > to a variety of other backend servers according to demand. I could
> > have the DBs hosted on a server with limited bandwidth but high
> > availability and offload some or all of the packages to another
> > server with a higher and/or cheaper bandwidth quota. I could
> > perhaps use Amazon S3 cloud for important popular packages and a
> > Dreamhost cheapie account for less popular packages, all from
> > the same repo sync DB.
>
> That sounds ugly.

I would have thought it to be "amazingly flexible" and not
availble with any other packaging system.

> Don't you have more transparent ways to achieve the same?

I could perhaps set up apache rewrite rules for individual
packages to point to other destinations but that, to me,
would indeed be truly fugly.

On this issue of mirroring, I guess I'll do the regular thing
of contacting major mirroring services and see if I can hop
on board.

--markc