[pacman-dev] [ANNOUNCE] libpmpmmm 1.0-479-gb2c39e6

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Mar 31 18:41:48 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

I would like to announce something that we have been working on during
the last few months.

First, let me explain what libpmpmmm stands for, though I'm quite sure
you all know what it is. Poor man's package manager library, written in
C++.

You probably all remember to the new function names like
alpm_pkg_getinfo() and the mess with return types. Now this is no longer
a problem using C++, there are multiple alpmPkgGetinfo() functions and
you can write multiple backends to determine which one will be executed.

I know you all hate C++, so we wrote Java bindings, this way you can
implement your own backends in Java as well. Oh well, there is an
experimental C# binding as well, but that's not yet public.

So far we implemented one backend, it uses a random algorithm as we
think the method C++ uses (polymorphism) is boring.

At the moment the random generator returns constant 4, to help testing.

We talked to Richard Stallman when we choosed the license, he suggested
to CDDL as GNU Autotools will use that license soon, so all projects
using GNU Autotools and GPL will be illegal.

Download:

git clone git://git.frugalware.org/pub/other/libpmpmmm/libpmpmmm

Please keep in mind that at the moment you can't replace libalpm with
libpmpmm due to patent issues, but we are working on that problem.

Oh, forgot to mention. Our patent is about we use a technology to change
the API without rebuilding the library. This closes FS#7947, FS#9307.
Oops, and FS#9005 as well.

Have a nice day!