[pacman-dev] Libraries for makepkg

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Sat May 10 01:31:47 EDT 2008

On 10/05/2008, at 11:16 AM, Allan McRae wrote:

> What are peoples opinions on adding some libraries to makepkg that
> would
> quickly achieve some common tasks
> (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10375)?  I think this is a trade of
> between the ease of interpretation of a single command and
> understanding
> what that command actually does.  The need to import the function
> before
> use makes me lean on the side of including these.
>
> If we go for this, I would recommend some fairly strict guidelines on
> their inclusion. e.g.
> 1) The function must be a command block in common use or have a good
> case made for why it will be in the future.
> 2) The function must be significantly complex so that using it helps
> with interpretation of the PKGBUILD.
>
> I can think of one function which would save a lot of discussion
> around
> here:
> create_desktop_file(<progname>, <description>, <category>)
>
> Allan

I'm not sure that I like the idea very much. We should keep away from
anything that makes PKGBUILDs more like Gentoo ebuilds. I love the
simplicity and, I suppose, explicitness of PKGBUILDs because they are
very easy to follow for anyone a bit familiar with shell. This might
be nice for some very simple stuff that's tedious, but obvious.
Anything that makes PKGBUILDs more cryptic than they currently are is
a step backwards, in my opinion. Maybe I haven't created enough
packages to see the benefits of this, but Gentoo ebuilds make me sick,
and that is the direction I see this going.

--
Sebastian Nowicki