[pacman-dev] libarchive version check

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed May 14 10:17:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I would suggest someone grab the last libarchive 1.X release and the
>  first libarchive 2.X release and compare the header files. See if
>  there is an new function introduced in 2.X that we can use instead to
>  verfiy you are using a new enough version.
>
>  Of course, while you have that original 2.X package, you might want to
>  verify it actually compiles against it.
>
>  The only other option looks to be diving into AC_LANG_PROGRAM and
>  writing a test that actually has a valid type declaration?

So I guess that is yet another advantage of pkgconfig which allows to
do stuff like this :
PKG_CHECK_MODULES([MYSTUFF], [gtk+-2.0 >= 1.3.5 libxml = 1.8.4])
Though even if we made a pkgconfig file for libarchive and it was
accepted, it would only be available in the new version and not in all
older ones.
But maybe that is not a problem, people should probably just use the
latest release of libarchive.