[pacman-dev] Fix command line argument parsing in makepkg

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed May 28 09:04:55 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-28, Xavier wrote:
> > --source            = -S
> > --noconfirm        =  -n
> > --noprogressbar = -N
> > --holdver            = -H
> > --forcever           = ?
> > --asroot             = ?

Someone else suggested -0 and -F. The only extra I would
suggest is an additional check for "--help" so for those
occasions when longopts do get used, for assistance, that
both -h and --help shows the new shortopts usage list.

> So what do people think about a short opt only makepkg?

I think it's a great idea and would simplify the argument
passing in makepkg. Longopts are politcially correct but
shortopts, especially if it streamlines code, still works
just fine once the changes are understood by end users.

There are 62 possibilities... a-zA-Z0-9.

> I would like more feedbacks on the idea as I have a patch mostly
> working but there is no reason to polish it if the idea is wrong and
> if the patch will be rejected in any cases.

Not that my vote counts for anything but I'm all for it.

+1 as they say

--markc