[pacman-dev] "explicit dependencies", a compromise between explicit and deps

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 12 09:24:16 EDT 2008

Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> Hi,
> pacman has an option --asdeps so the user can install packages as if
> it were deps.  In fact, such packages will be treated exactly the same
> as normal dependencies:
> <blah>
> What are your ideas?
> Thanks,
> Dieter

That explanation made my head hurt....   So to put it succinctly,  you
want a category for packages that are sort of dependencies, but not real
dependencies, but are not explicitly installed either.  So something you
install because (e.g.) it is an optdepend.

I can see your point, but it does seem that adding another category of
package is a bit extreme.  I do run into this problems as I have to
install optdepends as explicit as I use --asdep as a mechanism to keep
track of packages I am testing so I can just remove orphans to clean my
system.  Maybe an option to set what packages you install something as a
dependency of is a compromise (still not sure how that would work....).

Allan