[pacman-dev] "explicit dependencies", a compromise between explicit and deps

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 13:01:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
>>> This seems more like an issue with dependency resolution than anything
>>> else. Assuming this is all based on issues with optdepends, like so:

Can I take a step back here and say this: we're getting greedy.

When we introduced optdepends, we were (I was?) just trying to remove
need for install files with metadata only. Moving it into the package
made sense, but I never anticipated it flowering into all this
complexity that has been brought up in this thread. What happened to
tweaking things on your own if necessary?

I'm just not convinced we want to go down the road to complexity and
extra features here, especially if the trend continues. "Well what if
I installed a package as an optdepend for this one, but don't want it
to be an optdepend for this other one?" The list of scenarios seems
endless and I fear fixing one will open the floodgates for 3 more use
cases.