[pacman-dev] A quiestion on translation

Lyman lymanrb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 05:03:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

I noticed some translation flaw of pacman and wish to correct it. I
followed the instruction as this link

http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/translation-help.html

and get the updated po file (to be exact, zh_CN.po).

Here's the problem when I open this po file: I don't know how to
identify parameter with sequence. For example, when I need to translate
a sentence

msgid ":: Replace %s with %s/%s?"

into the form of

msgstr ":: Use %s/%s to replace %s?"

How could tell which %s is which. This does happens when translating
English into Chinese and there are such bugs in zh_CN.po right now.

I've searched for a while and found that different projects might use
different policies.

In KDE people uses

msgid "%1 articles match rule %2"
msgstr "匹配规则 %2 的文章有 %1 个"