[pacman-dev] Building docs fails

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 5 22:49:06 EDT 2009

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anybody an asciidoc expert around here.  The upgrade from asciidoc-8.4.0
>>> to 8.4.{1,2} causes building docs to fail for me (output below).  Anybody
>>> want to look at this?
>>>
>> This fixes the error, but there is still lots of warnings given:
>>
>> Name
>> ----
>> +repo-add - package database maintenance utility
>> ////
>> * If we use this below line, the manpage name comes out all weird. We also
>> * can't use two separate lines, which is quite annoying. *
>> repo-add, repo-remove - package database maintenance utilities
>> ////
>> -repo-add - package database maintenance utility
>>
>> It appears that a comment straight after the Name line is "not good"...  I
>> haven't checked if the docs still look OK after fixing that.
>>
>> Some of the warnings are apparently a known bug in asciidoc:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc/browse_thread/thread/fd27add515597c06
>>

> Do we have a decent fix for this then? I'll accept patches that help
> fix the build.

That patch I gave above is now on my working branch.  After applying it,
every man page gives a warning (WARNING: [graphviz-block] missing
template section) during the build but this is apparently a bug in
asciidoc.  The PKGBUILD man page give:

WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 74: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 74: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 74: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 74: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 80: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 93: nested inline passthrough
WARNING: PKGBUILD.5.txt: line 121: nested inline passthrough

These are due to things like `$$license=('GPL' 'FDL')$$`.  They look no
different now than they did in the last pacman release so this seems
fine.  May be something that needs looked into though.

Allan