[pacman-dev] Inconsistency of makepkg's activities in devel_check()

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 10:40:01 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Benjamin
Richter<webmaster at waldteufel-online.net> wrote:
> Hello developers. :-)
>
> I noticed that makepkg handles Mercurial repositories differently from
> CVS/SVN/Bazaar/etc. With the others, $newpkgver is either computed using
> $(date ...) or retrieved from the online repository and the PKGBUILD is
> responsible for retrieving the contents as it is demonstrated here:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_CVS_%6_SVN_PKGBUILD_guidelines.
>
> Only with hg the repository is automatically cloned, pulled and updated:

I noticed this inconsistency just recently looking at makepkg code,
and I don't like it either.
I quickly looked at your proposed solutions and I am not convinced (or
maybe the first one a) ).

My suggestions :
1) cloning in all cases (like a) )
one big? disadvantage is that all existing scm PKGBUILDs will have to
be converted
and I wonder if this method might be too restrictive in some cases,
where someone want to clone a repo in a specific way.

2) removing hg / mercurial support
This is the easiest one :D

3) implement a way to get the version with hg without cloning, like
all other scm already have
This is the nicest / most difficult (maybe impossible?) one :)