[pacman-dev] use of /usr/local with pacman

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:34:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Jeff<jeff at kcaccess.com> wrote:
> I just updated the installed pacman and noticed makepkg.conf's use of
> /usr/local in strip, doc, and man dirs. Should pacman allow any files to
> be installed into /usr/local? I've been an administrator on various UNIX
> clones for more than a decade and packages that were installed by the
> package manager, whether precompiled or a build recipe, always avoided
> /usr/local and any "local" modifications were put exclusively in
> /usr/local with PATH and library search path having /usr/local first so
> the user's modifications would take precedence. Just curious if pacman
> makes such a policy or if it is up to the PKGBUILD author.

I am confused. Are you talking about the package manager pacman, or
about the package themselves?

What you mention with '/usr/local' is just a autoconf default :
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/autoconf-2.13/html_node/autoconf_19.html

And this concerns the files of pacman itself, not the packages that
will be installed by pacman.

And when you build and install any software manually, without using
the official package manager, it should be seen as a local
modification. So it is good to have the build system use /usr/local by
default.