[pacman-dev] makepkg in a constrained environment

Cedric Staniewski cedric at gmx.ca
Wed Dec 2 09:58:03 EST 2009

On 12/02/2009 03:05 PM, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
>> <ciprian.craciun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    Hello all!
>>>
>>>    For some time I was struggling in creating (for myself) a
>>> "sterile" environment for package building purposes. (I want to build
>>> some custom packages for a custom lightweight distribution.) And in
>>> what follows I would like to share my experience with pacman / makepkg
>>> developers in such a "sterile" environment.
>>>
>>>    By "sterile" I mean the following:
>>>    * clean, uncontaminated packages: freshly installed by pacman from
>>> a repository without my intervention; (if I would use my ArchLinux
>>> installation, some packages (compiler, libraries, etc.) would be
>>> configured to my like, and thus it could create a non-repeatable
>>> build);
>>>    * minimal package installation base: only the packages that have
>>> been clearly declared as dependencies in PKGBUILD should be installed
>>> (of course with their dependencies);
>>>    * I need the assurance that configure and make scripts of
>>> different packages pick up the right build tool-chains (for example
>>> for cross-compiling);
>>>
>>>    As such, I've decided of the following:
>>>    * prepare a UML (User Mode Linux) kernel, that shall provide me
>>> with a clean build Linux environment; (this could of course be
>>> replaced with a Vserver instance;)
>>>    * prepare a (static linked) BusyBox with all the tools built in;
>>> (this shall be installed outside of the normal PATH, to be sure it's
>>> not picked up by the configure and make scripts;)
>>>    * prepare a (static linked) Bash (installed outside the normal PATH);
>>>    * when running makepkg, I'll set the
>>> PATH=/.workbench/tools/busybox/bin:/.workbench/tools/bash/bin;
>>>    * but when inside the PKGBUILD I'll reset the
>>> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:etc....
>>>
>>>    Now my experiences with makepkg in such an environment:
>>>    * it seems it works without too much fuss with the commands
>>> provided by busybox, except;
>>>    * if one has declared of using only MD5 sums (most of the packages
>>> do this), it insists on using `openssl dgst` to create them;
>> See commit b8a66d68593d1f267c3bb8cd8943724711626903 as Allan pointed
>> out, which was to fix FS#10530. You'd be reverting that which is not
>> really what we want.
>>
>>>    * it insists on using file tool to identify the file type;
>> Allan got this one. (FS#6246)
>>
>>>    * it insists on using bsdtar to untar the tar archives;
>> bsdtar is a hard dep of pacman and makes our work in makepkg a ton
>> easier. It works for all sorts of archives and I would have a real
>> hard time seeing why we should step away from it.
>
>     I understand that bsdtar knows a lot of archive types, and that it
> supports POSIX file capability. But if I would use makepkg on an
> operating system where I don't have bsdtar, I would be unable to
> construct any package, even-though I'm using only tar's or zip's.

> [...]

I do not agree with your definition of "portable" here. All of makepkgs
dependencies are available for (mostly?) every system pacman can run on,
so it is already "portable". Adding fallbacks only may make it easier to
install/run makepkg in a specific setup.
A setup where you cannot install all of makepkg's dependencies with a
reasonable effort seems rather exotic to me and does not justify such an
inappropriate increase in complexity of makepkg in my opinion.
Why do you not write bash wrappers which provide the functionality of
bsdtar/openssl/... and add these to your path?