[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] doc size

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:27:53 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> The results are slightly different, mostly because makepkg
> overestimates uncompressed size by not using -a with du, while namcap
> lotsofdocs computes the real size.
>
> Now that I think about it, maybe the trick/hack I used in my first
> script would actually be a portable way to get the real uncompressed
> size :
> bsdtar tvf foo.pkg.tar.gz 2>/dev/null | awk '{ SUM += $5 } END { print SUM }'
>
> But this is offtopic, I should find again the makepkg bug report we
> had about this that we probably rejected :P

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11225

I see, so we made a patch for repo-add :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11225?getfile=2429
I also made one for makepkg : http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11225?getfile=2426

But Dan rejected it with this reason :
"Note that I did not touch makepkg because our size there is not
critical- a size to the nearest K is just fine, and switching to a
find/stat way of doing it would cause all hard links to get
double-counted."

It is a size to the nearest K for each file, and we accumulate the errors ?
I did not realize the difference was so big until today, when playing
with docsize stuff.

e.g. for libsigc++-2.0 :
du -s = 12040 K
du -s --apparent-size = 10723 K

So that's 1300K. and 12% error if I am not mistaken.