[pacman-dev] about pacdiff

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 07:30:35 EST 2009

I like a lot pacdiff for dealing with pacnew files. I always notice
that it miss the grub config because it lies in /boot/ while pacdiff
only checks in /etc/
I was curious so I decided to have a look at how many backup config
files are not in /etc/ :)
$ sh backup.sh > backup-list
$ cat backup-list | cut -d'/' -f1 | sort -u

boot
conf.d
home
opt
srv
sysctl.conf
usr
var

Note that we have three crazy files there : empty, conf.d and
sysctl.conf. Here are the three problematic files/packages :
conf.d/ntp-client.conf / /var/abs/extra/ntp/PKGBUILD
/etc/foomatic/filter.conf / /var/abs/testing/foomatic-filters/PKGBUILD
sysctl.conf / /var/abs/community/network/ufw/PKGBUILD

I should probably report bugs for these, though it was not my original
intention.
So after this manual filtering, here is the list :
boot home opt srv usr var

That would considerably slow down pacdiff though so probably not worth
it. It is disappointing :)