[pacman-dev] Non-reentrancy of libalpm, why?

Patrick Walton pcwalton at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 15 04:05:08 EST 2009

Hi,

I noticed that libalpm isn't reentrant/thread-safe, even though it
defines pmhandle_t to store all global information instead of using
multiple global variables. This is unfortunate for my use case. I'm
thinking about writing a cross-compiling makepkg-like utility, which
would need to access two package handles simultaneously at once: that of
the host and that of the target.

Is there a reason why libalpm isn't reentrant? And how frozen is the
libalpm API supposed to be?

Thanks,
Patrick