[pacman-dev] Pacman Disk Space Issues

Brendan Hide brendan at swiftspirit.co.za
Fri Feb 20 03:21:26 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Regarding the check - we do get the "size to be installed" at the
> frontend for display - why can't we check freespace there and just
> fail before we even download or install anything? Dan?
Its very sensible to add this feature - though its not going to prevent
all possible issues.

Given the information at hand during package installation, the robust
way would be:
check available disk space in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ and / before
downloading - give appropriate warnings (new feature?)
once downloaded, compare the available disk space in each mount point
from /etc/mtab to the compressed package's content (new feature) *
still take into account all errors regarding disk space during
installation (currently-broken feature) **

* You can't tell where the package's files are going until you've
already downloaded the package. If there are separate mount points for
different directories in the root, disk space can't be calculated
beforehand. Assuming there's only a / mount point will work for most
Arch users - but not all.

** On a busy server or desktop, you can't assume that the disk space
available at the beginning of the installation isn't going to change
independently of pacman's actions.