[pacman-dev] delta support in libalpm

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:45:57 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Would it be useful if I put xdelta3 into the repos to help testing things
> out for this?

Short answer : yes, I believe it would be nice to have xdelta3 in the repos
Long answer :
Well I did have something running, but I realized I have way too many
problems and questions to go in a testing phase.
I have no idea where this is going and where it should go.
There has never been any real official interests for delta. This seems
to make a requirement the ability to make a separate delta server.
This seems to require a separate delta database. This implies a new
level of complexity and code bloat in pacman. Now maybe it is worth
it, I don't know, it still makes me wondering why we put all this
delta stuff in pacman to begin with. What was the problem with
XferCommand, it seemed like it was a great idea. Now that
wget-xdelta.sh script is just a toy, but a much more powerful python
script could be written that has basically the same logic as pacman
currently has + the ability to fetch and parse a separate delta
database.