[pacman-dev] delta support in libalpm

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:58:27 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Brendan Hide
<brendan at swiftspirit.co.za> wrote:
> Xavier wrote:
>>
>> how Garns answered to them:
>> For Arch this would mean creating deltas on Gerolde, which seems to
>> be fairly strained already.
>> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-November/007672.htm
>
> Is Gerolde separate from the server that serves the FTP and HTTP traffic? If
> it is
> separate then I can't argue for the delta's improvement on the server's
> performance.
> If it *is* the same server then Garn's argument is illogical.
>
> What else is Gerolde doing for Arch and can it be moved to another server?

This is not the only problem. Another big problem is that it would
require real interest and work from official developers, and this is
clearly inexistent :)
For example, dbscripts would require some work as well
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=dbscripts.git;a=tree

If these two problems can be fixed, we still have some technical
issues about how adding deltas to a database with repo-add should
work.