[pacman-dev] repo-add sanity check

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 27 09:00:15 EST 2009

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I took repo-add from the pacman package and one built from the latest git
>>> will all Xavier's patches and made a repo db from all packages in my cache
>>> (all of testing, core and extra, some community).  There are a few
>>> differences (see http://dev.archlinux.org/~allan/repoadd-diff.txt).
>>> A summary of the differences:
>>>
>>> A bunch of packages have the ARCH field removed:
>>> -%ARCH%
>>> -i686
>>>
> Hmm, this I'm not sure about.

Following Xavier's hint in an earlier reply, these are all packages that
were build a long time ago - before the arch field in PKGBUILD.

e.g.
 > pacman -Si barcode | grep Build
Build Date     : Sun 22 Feb 2004 14:10:37 EST    (!!!!)

These will not really matter until something happens that force a
rebuild of the repo-db.  They could probably all do with a rebuild to
get newer optimization and fix man paths, etc, anyway.

>>> A few differences to do with quotes. e.g.
>>> -custom:INTEL537
>>> +custom:"INTEL537"
>>> and
>>> +%DESC%
>>> +Efficient bit vector, set of integers and "big int" math library
>>>
> Exactly. This was the exact description that brought about that other
> fix in the first place. You can't have your cake both ways.
>

>>> This change is not so good...  (k3b-i18n package)
>>> %DEPENDS%
>>> -k3b>=1.0.5-1
>>> +k3b>=$pkgver
>>>
> This happened in the makepkg stage, and I will bet a lot of money you
> will find the following in the PKGBUILD:
> depends=('k3b>=$pkgver')
> rather than
> depends=("k3b>=$pkgver")

And we have a winner!  This is in the .PKGINFO file:
depend = k3b>=$pkgver
I guess a bug report, and maybe a namcap check, is in order.

Allan