[pacman-dev] No remove progress during -S with conflict

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 00:23:37 EST 2009

There seems to be a change in behavior dealing with removing packages on an
-S operation due to package conflicts. In the past, it was clear when pacman
was removing a package because you got the progress line. Now, it appears to
silently remove.

For example, if I have python-mpd-git installed and do a pacman -S
python-mpd, which of course conflicts with the former, I get the following:

$ pacman -S python-mpd
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: python-mpd conflicts with python-mpd-git. Remove python-mpd-git? [Y/n]

Remove (1): python-mpd-git-20090101-1

Total Removed Size:   0.05 MB

Targets (1): python-mpd-0.2.1-2

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   0.05 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

I chose yes to the first question but I'm not sure if it has yet been
removed by the time I get to the second question. (Testing this, I see that
it hasn't.) If I then click yes to proceed with the installation, I get:

:: Retrieving packages from extra...
 python-mpd-0.2.1-2-i686    7.7K   49.4K/s 00:00:00
checking package integrity...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts
(1/1) installing python-mpd

So it never shows that the package was removed. I think it would be better
if it did, like when I do a pacman -R operation. I believe it worked this
way in the past and it seems more obvious to the user what's happening.

Scott