[pacman-dev] vercmp wildcards?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:34:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Aaron Griffin<aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just checking the sanity of an idea here:
>
> What do you all think of supporting wildcards for version comparisons?
> I was thinking fnmatch could almost be dropped in directly to
> alpm_pkg_vercmp in place of the initial strcmp.
>
> Use case:
> readline version 6.0.003
> bash depends readline=6.0.*
>
> Thoughts?

Initial thoughts are this doesn't seem like the greatest idea.
However, it has its fair use cases, and I can't really justify my
distaste toward it. I feel like there are a lot of tricky situations
with version numbers.

Without commenting on the practicality too much, know that you can
fairly easily fool around with vercmp and its implementation run it
through its test suite, which runs on either "make check" or can be
invoked directly by running ./pactest/vercmptest.sh ./src/util/vercmp.