[pacman-dev] pacman and same empty dirs in both pkgs, problem?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Jul 25 18:50:30 EDT 2009

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Nagy Gabor<ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
>
>>> Maybe instead of trying to remove the directory, it should check all
>>> existing packages to see if there is one owning this directory.
>>> But this will slow down the -R operation, for each directory inside  a
>>> package.
>>>
>> -1. This would induce a memory usage boost for fixing a minor issue. Pacman
>> would load _all_ local filelists (the "big" part of local database, in
>> addition, loading is slow with empty disk-cache) in even many simple "-S
>> one_package" operations. I have seen dont.remove.this.file many times so far
>> (for example, in "empty" dirs of some archives), that is much easier in this
>> case, too.
>>

> One catch here is the original bug dealt with /var/empty. Judging by
> the name of that directory, putting anything at all in it would defeat
> the point of it, even if it is a bogus/hidden file.

Yes, anyway, /var/empty is not defined by FHS.
And the manual of sshd says:

       /var/empty
              chroot(2)  directory used by sshd during privilege
separation in the pre-authentication phase.  The directory should not
contain any files
              and must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

So I think that this is a problem with other programs that uses
/var/empty and doing the workaround putting a hidden file (there are
only two packages in all repos that use this dir core/openssh and
community/openntpd)
> The best thing to encourage here is correct packaging, and use of the
> !emptydirs option in the PKGBUILD to ensure removing your package
> doesn't remove some system directory that probably didn't need to be
> in your package in the first place.

ok

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )