[pacman-dev] Interesting side-effect of IgnorePkg

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 22:03:17 EDT 2009

So I tried to install base-devel on my slice today so I could build a package:

$ pacS base-devel
Password:
base-devel package not found, searching for group...
:: group base-devel (including ignored packages):
    autoconf  automake  bin86  bison  ed  fakeroot  flex  gcc  libtool
 m4  make  patch  pkgconfig
:: Install whole content? [Y/n] y
warning: autoconf-2.63-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: bison-2.4.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: gcc is in IgnorePkg/IgnoreGroup. Install anyway? [Y/n] n
gcc package not found, searching for group...
error: 'gcc': not found in sync db

I said no to GCC becuase I have most of the toolchain/libc held back
because the Xen kernel running there is older. However, I already have
GCC installed, but it still caused the group install to fail.