[pacman-dev] [feature request] ignore certain file conflicts

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:57:03 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:

> By the way, it can be always useful (but slow) to query fileowners. In
> case of fileconflict, we just get an error message "/usr/bin/foo exists
> in filesystem", so pacman doesn't inform us about (file)conflicting
> packages ("local package foo conflict with transaction package foo-ng").

+1

1) The first recommended thing to do in this case is pacman -Qo
/usr/bin/foo anyway
2) I always found this message odd, it sounds like pacman does not
know that file, while it could very well have tracked it and know
which package it belongs to
3) This is an error case, it doesn't have to be lightning fast, it
should rather be as informative as possible