[pacman-dev] some more delta stats

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Fri Mar 6 09:38:36 EST 2009

[Xav, sorry for my direct reply.]

> I generated deltas for the last 20 updates on my system. The total
> delta size is 12M, while the total package size is 73M. So the overall
> ratio is pretty good imo.
> Afaik, only one delta on the 20 didn't reach the 0.7 ratio : attr
> The ghostscript one is unbelievable : 5,7K vs 29M !
>
> Here are the packages, deltas and their size :

Well, these results are cool. If deltas finally work perfectly in alpm
we may want to factorize (move) it to a stand-alone xdelta
client-server(?) stuff, which is something similar to rsync (but we
need a vcs-like stuff here). Well, I know this idea is very ambitious,
but I have the impression that we (== Nathan and Xavier:) did
something, from which the whole open source community could profit.
(Moreover, our alpm code would be cleaner :) At least I didn't find
anything which is similar to our low-bandwidth delta-based "vcs
system" on the net.

Bye

P.S: This is of course an utopian idea. :)