[pacman-dev] Checking for VSC/SCM tools in makepkg

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:08:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I was just wondering if the devel_check should come after the
> installation of deps and makedeps so that if a VCS tool is missing, we can
> make it an error.  At the moment, we can not update the pkgver during the
> first devel_check.  So you end up with issues like this:
>
> ==> Making package: notify-sharp-svn 3009-2 i686 (Mon Mar  9 08:23:02 UTC
> 2009)
> ==> Installing missing dependencies...
> (subversion)
> ==> Entering fakeroot environment...
> ==> Determining latest svn revision...
>  -> Version found: 3032
> (note the different version there and how --forcever does not seem to have
> been used/work)
> ==> Finished making: notify-sharp-svn 3009-2 i686 (Mon Mar  9 08:25:36 UTC
> 2009)

I see, but in any cases, we won't be able to display this message
where it is now :
> ==> Making package: notify-sharp-svn 3009-2 i686 (Mon Mar  9 08:23:02 UTC
unless we either remove the version, or move this message after
installing missing dependencies (could look weird).

Here are the other things that happen between the current devel_check
and the missing deps install, which relies on $pkgver :
1) check of an existing package (and install with -i)
2) creation of the source package

For 2, I don't see why it would be needed to bump the pkgver to the last one.
For 1, it might be ok to not bump it either. This would make us aware
that there is already a package built for the pkgver in the pkgbuild,
so that we might want to just install that one. Otherwise, we can
force with -f, which may or may not result in a different $pkgver
after devel_update or devel_check, but well, that's what --holdver is
for.

So it seems doable to delay devel_check, having the three points above in mind.

> Hmmm..... while testing this I noticed this:
> ==> Validating source files with md5sums...
> ==> Validating source files with sha1sums...
> ==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
> ==> Validating source files with sha384sums...
> ==> Validating source files with sha512sums...
>
> Note that svn packages tend to have "md5sums=()" in the PKGBUILD.  I wonder
> if that is still an issue?

Ahah.
What about [ ${#source[@]} -eq 0 ] && return 0 at the top of check_checksums ?