[pacman-dev] Bad error message on invalid pacman -S operation

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Sat May 2 07:52:52 EDT 2009

> > > dmcgee at galway /home/makepkg/packages
> > > $ pacS ../valgrind-3.4.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
> > > error: repository '..' not found
> > > error: '../valgrind-3.4.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz': no such repository
>
> Wow, this is ugly. The problem with PM_ERR_PKG_REPO_NOT_FOUND error
> code, that it needs a param (which repo was not found? this info is an
> alpm internal), that is impossible with error codes. Imho we should
> remove this error code [the "repository 'foo' not found" message is
> printed via alpm_log()], and just use PM_ERR_PKG_NOT_FOUND instead.

I've just now realised that this is the reason for the fact that in
this case we don't start to find a group. (We fallback to search_group,
iff alpm returns with PKG_NOT_FOUND.) So I am a bit unsure now, this
behaviour is better, because the group-name cannot contain
'/' (off-topic: however, repo/group can make sense, but that is not
implemented atm). Then we should just rephrase
PM_ERR_PKG_REPO_NOT_FOUND in alpm_strerror().