[pacman-dev] [arch-general] Marking a package as a dependency

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed May 20 03:58:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I just recently bothered reading part of pacman's man page and found
> that I probably should have performed a `pacman -U --asdeps
> mypkg.tar.gz` as I installed dependencies for packages I build
> manually.  However I didn't, so can I retro-actively change the
> reason-for-installation of an already installed package without
> re-installing it?  (No, I couldn't decipher whether the man page
> already tells me how to do this :-)

See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12950
and http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13964

especially Dan comment :
You can always go and tweak the database file to change the reason if
truly necessary.

and Nagy comment :
If someone suggest me good pacman switches, I will provide a patch for
this. ;-) (I think we need a new main operation, -D/--database for
example).