[pacman-dev] bug in pacman 3.3.2 retrieving of repos?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:38:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration |
Westermann GmbH ] <mad at wol.de> wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> pacman 3.3.2 libfetch backend doesn't retrieve an updated repo via http
> (tested with "touch repo.db.tar.gz" on the http server) here.
>
> I checked the http headers with curl just to be sure that my setup isn't
> f***ed up in some way and they are updated just fine after every touch
> on the file, so i has to be a problem with libfetch or pacman itself.
>
> A local revert to pacman 3.3.0 (no build-changes or libfetch changes and
> the exact same build-environment) fixes this problem here so it looks
> like a messed up usage of libfetch in pacman 3.3.2 release.
>
> Can someone else reproduce this behaviour?
>
> Because i have no clue on how to use libfetch the right way without
> reading the documentation and analyse the code in pacman afterwards, i
> hope someone else wants to hound it down.

There was definitely a change between 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 :
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=6f97842ab22eb50fdc689e8aa2e95688d015fa74

Just to be sure, you could try reverting just that commit on 3.3.2.

But then, it seems to work for most users, using all the official
mirrors. So I am not sure what is wrong.
Maybe your http server is broken and does not handle/report
Last-modified correctly.

I believe you could check this header using wireshark or another
network analyzer.

You could also try using a different http server.