[pacman-dev] Getting Involved With Pacman Development

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 23:34:33 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Laszlo Papp <djszapi at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Tim Skinner <tim at timskinner.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> Apologies if this isn't the proper place to send this message to. I just
>> pulled
>> down the repo and signed up for the mailing list and bug tracker so I can
>> start
>> trying to contribute patches. I thought I'd shoot off an email to see if
>> anyone
>> had any suggestions for bugfixes or features that might be good tackle to
>> help
>> me get used to the codebase, or if anyone had any other pointers.
>>
>> I look forward to contributing.
>>
>> --Tim Skinner
>>

> Hello Tim!
>
> Nice to hear this! You can find bugs, feature requests on the
> http://bugs.archlinux.org in the Pacman project e.g., or follow this mailing
> lists, or implement your request and it will be applied maybe or not,
> depending how good is the patch.
>
> You can read this documentations:
> - HACKING
> - submitting-patches.txt

I'm hoping some of the pacman developers can get on board with the
next bug day Arch has, and maybe we can find some of the easier
feature request that people can take a look at and contribute patches.

There are ~100 issues in the current bug tracker, many of which don't
see much ongoing effort. You could pick one, bring it up in discussion
here, and then work toward implementing it.

The other thing to help get a foot in the door is some patches for
code cleanup and clarity. I will say this- we like these patches, but
we also review them and often times it will take a few iterations (or
other bugs are uncovered) so don't get discouraged. You might also
just want to search the code for TODO markers and ask here if it is
something worth tackling.