[pacman-dev] Is -Suu supposed to also update packages?

Cedric Staniewski cedric at gmx.ca
Sun Oct 18 15:35:34 EDT 2009

Hi,
while implementing pacman's downgrade operation in bash, I noticed that pacman also includes upgradeable package in the list of downgradeable ones. I did not complete the downgrade, but I would assume that it would have actually updated some of the packages.
In my bash function I filter the upgradeable packages out of the installed ones and this is what I expected pacman would do, too. Apparently, this is not the case and I wonder, if this is the intended behavior or if it should be considered as a bug.

According to the documentation, I would say this is intended, so the term "downgrade" is a little bit misleading in my opinion.

> Pass this option twice to enable package downgrade; in this case pacman will select sync packages whose version does not match with
> the local version. This can be useful when the user switches from a testing repo to a stable one.

Thanks for clarification,
Cedric