[pacman-dev] makepkg -i should fail when packages cannot be installed

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Sep 2 16:38:18 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch 02 September 2009 01:05:04 schrieb Allan McRae:
> Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would file a bug report but somehow...
> >
> > It seems makepkg -i just throws a warning if it cannot install the
> > package after build. I would prefer if it would at least return something
> > different from 0.
> >
> > My scripts assume that everything is fine if makepkg retuns 0 and an
> > inter package file conflict wasn't noticed due to the behaviour that
> > makepkg did return 0 even if something went wrong.
>
> Hmmm...  there was a bug report that was the opposite.
>
> The reasoning here is that makepkg did not fail, rather pacman failed to
> install the successfully built package.  The same occurs when pacman
> fails to remove deps as asked by makepkg.
>
> Allan

Well, makepkg -i is makepkg+pacman and one of those fails the whole thing
should fail, too. I only ask for the correct return value; makepkg does not
need to abort etc.. The point is that the current implementation makes the -i
useless for scripting because you cannot check if the install failed or not.

--

Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre