[pacman-dev] makepkg -i should fail when packages cannot be installed

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 2 18:50:55 EDT 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Pierre Schmitz<pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Donnerstag 03 September 2009 00:02:03 schrieb Dan McGee:
>>
>>> Why use -i at all then? Since you want to check the install, shouldn't
>>> that be a seperate step in your script? E.g. Run makepkg, check for a
>>> 0 return, then run pacman and check for a 0 return.
>>>
>> Sure, that simple to implement, that's not my point. I just thought this might
>> not be right in makepkg.
>>

> I can see both sides here, so I have nothing to add, really. The
> return of makepkg, to me, indicates that "makepkg failed", not
> "something failed". However, if installation of the package actually
> fails, it _might_ be synonymous with "this package is borked" which
> would, in turn, indicate a makepkg issue.

There is a whole heap of notes in makepkg in the form "TODO: error
code".  When someone gets around to implementing those, I guess we can
add error codes for things like -i.  At the moment every error returns
1, so "good" and "bad" errors are hard to distinguish.  So, this can be
revisited in the future...

Allan